The first round of the 2017 GOODE Bracket Challenge almost ended up with the event’s biggest ever upset, as No. 1 seed Dave Miller and No. 16 Ben Favret tied, with Dave eventually earning the win once the back-up tiebreaker score was applied.
And Ben used an interesting approach to make it that close. He scored 3@39 – but at 36 mph – to put up his June best score of 111 buoys, tying Dave’s score of 3@41 at 34 mph. Unfortunately for Ben his second-highest score of June – 3@38, 36 mph – was not enough to top Dave’s back-up of 2@41, 34mph, so, Dave advances.
Another high seed who resorted to a tiebreaker score to advance was No. 5 Jeremy Newby-Ricci, who needed two scores of 2@41 on the VERY LAST DAY OF JUNE to tie No. 12 Tim Huston, who also got 2@41. Jeremy won the tiebreaker, 2@41 to 0.5@38 for Tim.
One upset that did take place was No. 13 Todd Kuykendall’s win over No. 4 seed Jay Leach. Todd scored 1@41 to beat Jay’s 3@39, although Jay’s tournament schedule in June was unusually light due to a family vacation.
The rest of the field went according to seeds:
- No. 2 Greg Badal faced a tough test from No. 15 Chet Raley, but emerged with a 3@41 to 1@41 win;
- No. 3 Regina Jaquess also faced a stiff challenge from No. 14 Jeff Milford, but won 1.5@41 to 0.5@41;
- No. 6 Chad Scott scored 2@41 to take down No. 11 Marc Shaw, who only managed 3@39 as one of his best opportunities in June – the France Big Dawg stop – turned sour after his ski didn’t arrive in time for the tournament;
- No. 7 Kevin Bishop took out the event’s youngest skier, No. 10 Brooke Baldwin, 1.5@41 to 2@39;
- No. 8 Kyle Tate had a great score of 2@41 to advance past No. 9 Greg Sund, who did not post a score in June due to injury.
That sets up the following Round 2 matches:
- No. 1 Dave Miller vs. No. 8 Kyle Tate
- No. 2 Greg Badal vs. No. 7 Kevin Bishop
- No. 3 Regina Jaquess vs. No. 6 Chad Scott
- No. 13 Todd Kuykendall vs. No. 5 Jeremy Newby-Ricci
Of the 385 brackets submitted in the online fan contest, only seven brackets remain perfect. An additional 75 only have one blemish on their bracket.